Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Clermont Draft Legal Challenge

I raced my "season opener" on saturday in Clermont, FL. Overall, it was a fun trip! I got to meet a couple ironman professional triathletes that stopped by the house I was staying at down there (the lady I stayed with is TYR rep so she talks with a lot of pros). It is so normal to be a professional down there...crazy! Anyway, about the race...First, the race was delayed so instead of already starting crazy late in the afternoon (3:30) we started about 4:00. It was just a busy day full of races so things were a little delayed. That was quite different to have such a big race so late in the day. It was hard to sit around and have the race on my mind for so long. I really prefer to get up and get 'er done! But I managed to entertain myself.
The swim was in Lake Louisa, which was very shallow for a couple hundred meters out from the shore...this made for A LOT of dolphin diving and running in knee deep water (a little challenging for me as I am kinda short!). So the swim was pretty challenging in this way for me. I saw several people pass me as we neared the shore and started to run out of the water. I just had to stay in control and do my best to run fast to catch a bike group! Well, I came out with several girls, but it quickly got divided up into 3 solid packs of riders. I couldn't quite catch the group up the road so I actually ended up riding the race by myself with one other girl who stayed quite close to me the entire time. I was just stuck in a position where I couldn't time trial my way up to the next pack by myself as there were strong bikers in the pack. I managed to stay ahead of the group behind me until the very last stretch coming home. So, it was definately a challenging spot to be in especially since I am not as strong on the run. I also receieved my first penatly ever! Ugh, I made a rookie mistake by mounting before the mount line...I thought I crossed it, but it was a chalk line about 10 feet out of transition. Oops...I know to DOUBLE check that out for the next race...never assume you know where those lines are! So I had to stop for 15" in the run. I tried to use it to my advantage and tell myself I was more fresh for having to stop. :) I actually only got passed by one person so I guess you can say I held my spot, but it made it difficult to run others down of course. So, this race was a pretty big learning experience with the different kind of swim tactics that were needed, my silly bike mistake, and just learning how to manage a draft legal bike with out having the draft!! haha, it was fun though. I also got to attend a clinic with my coach, Barb, so that was great to be down there and see her and learn more about my technique! I know I will be even more ready for my next race...the Nautica South Beach Tri (Miami)-part of the Lifetime Fitness Series. I am excited to do my first olympic non-draft race for the season!

1 comment: