Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Hyvee Triathlon

After my event in Memphis, I was ready to race again in Des Moines, Iowa on June 13. I had planned my nutrition wisely and practiced the weeks before with electrolyte intake as it was predicted to be hot in Iowa. The morning of the race, a big storm system was racing in and 20 minutes before the race start, the race was changed to a sprint distance tri in order to allow everyone to get in and out of the water quickly. A sprint distance tri is definately not to my advantage, especially with being a swimmer. I like to have a longer swim of course! :) Anyway, I gave it what I had with the sudden change of plans. With a full belly from preparing for a longer race, I took off in the swim. I had a steady swim, being second out of the water. I took off on the bike and had a steady ride and run. I ended up placing 6th overall in the elite amateur divison. I had a strong race considering the quick change in plan! It was so neat to be at the Hyvee triathlon eventhough the race wasn't what I had expected to be. The venue was great with the blue carpets laid out for the ITU race that took place in the afternoon. It was great to watch and watching inspired me to keep on training hard in hopes to race professionally someday! It was so neat to see the different pros racing in person and to see how hard they push during their race. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment