Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Johan's Trifest


On Saturday, June 19, I competed in a local olympic distance triathlon in Hopkins, MI. I competed in this triathlon last year as well. Coming of the race in Iowa, I didn't rest for Johan's and had a solid training week the week before. Therefore, the morning of the race, I had to put aside the fact that I was feeling more tired than usual for races. It was a great triathlon to be at as family and friends were able to come and cheer. Also, it was fun to race with many of the great triathletes from the area. Anyway, I decided to wear my Xterra vector pro x2 sleeveless wetsuit again. I had the fastest swim split, which set me up for a solid bike. I improved my bike split by several minutes from last year, even on a hilly and windy course. The bike is usually my weakest link, but not this time! I was able to hold a strong steady pace to continue in the lead. Since the course was windy, I was glad that I had my Lazer aero helmet along with my Rolf Prima race wheels. These are two components that I have not raced with before, but know in addition to my training that they have been helping in my improved bike performances. Coming into the run, I was feeling controlled, but didn't have a ton of "pop." I stayed controlled and had a solid run despite feeling fatigued from a good training week. I ended up winning the race, which was very exciting! There are some tough local competitors in the West Michigan area! I had fun during the race and enjoyed being able to race while having my family there...my 1 and 3 year old nephews were there to cheer my on. How fun! Now I am looking forward to preparing for my next race-Lifetime Fitness in Minneapolis.

No comments:

Post a Comment